Friday, June 27, 2008

TNT Night at Marymoor Velodrome

Yesterday, I went for Thursday Night Training session for new rider at Marymoor velodrome.
There is nothing better than riding in pace-line without breaks on fixed gear bike! From Cycle-U crowd, Peter was there too. 
As with road race, you have to watch for opening gaps in front of you. Single line can go pretty fast. I had rented bike ($5), no cycle computer. But I would guess, speed in pace line was 26-30 mph. Gap was about 150 meters, after guy in front of me pulled out. I’ve tried to chase the pace line for 3.5 laps (~mile), but could not make last 50 meters and gave up.

Afterwards we did one lap time trial from the standing start. Unlike regular TT you are in the same one gear (I’m guessing 46x16 for rental), so first few revolutions are hard. And afterwards it’s pretty much anaerobic effort for a lap, which is 400 meters. My time was about 34 seconds, which is quite slow.

Anyway, TNT is highly recommended. Instructors are friendly and track is fun. Next Stop is Monday night at Velodrome. 
Track is fun!


1 comment:

MT said...

I remember doing this class back in the day. What a hoot!

Track riding teaches handling skills that will give you more confidence road racing - especially in crits.

Also riding a track bike will help smooth out your pedaling.