Monday, July 14, 2008

Derby Day's Crashapalooza

Kenton B., Evan 'Rabid Dog' B. and I met up at the Redmond Derby Day's Crit Saturday 7/12/08.

Fast flat course, oversold to 75+ willing but only partially-abled men who took to the line, some prematurely it seems, to race 35 minutes.

Race officials almost DQ'd some folks who ignored an order to hold until course was opened up for line-up. When we saw guys starting to squat the line, I encouraged our group to' giter done' and get out there. As it turns out, the ref let the guys who listened move to the front.

We wanted to push the pace early, and then settle in. Kenton did this in spades, leading the pack through turn 1 and alternating lead pace-setting through first couple three laps. He was a motor! At one point the promoter called out "Cycle University doing strong work at the front of the bike race".

When they called the first prime, I broke my own pre-race plan by covering the flyer who went off the front - wanting to be like Craig E., who does that kind of thing effortlessly. Alas I'm not him and I burned way too many matches trying to cover him, which I only just barely did by turn 4, and then narrowly pip him on the line. Sheesh - all that work, but it turns out for one of the most unique prizes ever - a case of heart-smart "Corazones" Jalapeno corn chips. School lunches are set for the next year for my kids.

My colleague in this endeavor and I weren't interested in trying to stay away so we didn't. I was thrilled to see Kenton come charging back by for the next few laps.

I think there had been a couple crashes to this point, but fairly far back in the pack, so Kenton and I were largely unmolested. But then a crash happened right after turn 1, when somehow a Starbucks/SCCA rider ended up over - he was behind Kenton and in front of me. I thought for sure I was riding into/over his shiny red bike but somehow I was able to get around him. Kenton/rest of the leaders looked a little like 'whoa!?!' but we carried on. To the credit of the racers/spectators/organizers, all crashes were sorted out before a lap was completed, so while I was in front group all day - we never came upon a scene where we had to take care to avoid folks.

A few more laps go by, then again, just after turn 1, that distinctive sounds of thud and scrape as expensive parts and dreams of glory go the way of the Do Do bird. Our intrepid Kenton fell victim to this particular pile-up, photographed by Amara B. here: http://www.wheelsinfocus.com/2008/pages/94AD1795dd.htm He's in that pile somewhere.

As to when he'll next jump into a 4/5 race, Kenton had this to say:
http://www.wheelsinfocus.com/2008/pages/94AD1827dd.htm [Edited out]. As the promoters blended all the master's together, it made some guys go 4/5 - many won't again I suspect.

And our new sensation Evan B. earned his new nickname by literally rinsing his guts out to stay in the pack, avoid the crashes and finish the race. http://www.wheelsinfocus.com/2008/pages/94AD1763dd.htm

Lessons learned: if you want to win - conserve at all costs. Going for the prime was stupid. Podium guys rode smart, never in top 4-5 during the race, they sat and they waited. Acceleration really happens at start of bell lap, and just builds to a crescendo heading into turn 4. I put it in the 53x11 just before turn 4, tried to guesstimate where 250 meters out was and then gave it all - alas not enough. Second place rider was in a crash and got back in the race - chapeau!

Enough criteriums already. Looking forward to Skagit circuit race next weekend and some pure climbing.

PS - Coach Ed looked good in 3's race but didnt stay for finish.

4 comments:

Dessa said...

I see Evan got Powertap! It will be interseting to see what power he puts in a crit!

EBrown said...

Ryan, you are the Bard of Blogging. Great post! I'm still new to TrainingPeaks, but here's what I've got for power for the 35 minute race:

Duration: 32:49
Work: 524 kJ
TSS: 83.6 (intensity factor 1.236)
Norm Power: 286
VI: 1.07
Pw:HR: 6.76%
Pa:HR: 2.33%
Distance: 13.845 mi

Min Max Avg
Power: 0 1002 266 watts
Heart Rate: 158 192 188 bpm
Cadence: 60 188 98 rpm
Speed: 13.2 29.8 25.3 mph
Pace 2:01 4:32 2:22 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 261 70 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 975 243 lb-in

Dessa said...

Interesting. Your threshold is probably much higher than one you set if intensity factor is 1.236.
Good numbers. Was it flat?

Brian Tucker said...

Thanks for not running over my bike. :) (and sorry for almost taking you out) The guys in front of me decelerated coming out of the turn. I was closer than I should have been causing my front wheel to catch the rider in front of me when the line shifted left. Given where I was at, I don't know how I ended up not at the bottom of a pile. Bike and body damage here: http://brianshellaradblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/derby-days-crit-pride-before-fall.html