Monday, August 18, 2008

Crystal Mtn Pain-fest

The rumours are true. We actually paid $28 each for the privilege of riding our bicycles one way up 6.2 miles at 1,600 ft elevation gain in 90+ degree heat. Ideally at a faster speed than everyone else. Are we messed up or what?

Some of us who shall remain nameless [Evan B] paid for this privilege, drove to the start, kitted up and then missed the start time, but still had to ride back up to get to our cars and drive away.

Nelson and I shrewdly analyzed last years results for this uphill TT and the data was incontravertable: Master C's times were signifcantly slower than Cat 4's. http://www.wsbaracing.com/results.asp So for two old men with dreams of glory and medals, the smart move was to ride Masters. But as they say in the stock market, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

We joined Doug B in master ranks and started in order - more or less alphabetically. Which was very good as I would have been demoralized if Nelson passed me, even though I know he should be faster at 156lbs versus my 170lbs and 3 year old bike with borrowed front wheel [see Gig Harbor race]. Poor Doug went first and had few 'rabbits' to catch other than slower 'D's.

I enjoyed catching 5 guys - very motivating to see people on the road and inch your way up to them - and keeping one's tongue in check - no smart remarks as they will very likely be passing you by some other day. Nelson passed 4 men.

Before starting I wondered about mix-up juice v. water, small bottle v. big etc etc. In the end I took two bottles to be sure I was hydrated for warmup. Then just emptied one and carried onepart-full with water. Really glad I did as I drank 4-5 times, and doused the head 3 times. Heard some guys bemoaning their choice to go bottle-less later.

Favorite part had to be passing the guy in full aero bike/bars/helmet on the UPHILL TIME TRIAL.

Finished 9th in old men. 28:35, :15 slower than Nelson who was 7th. We'd have been 5th and 6th if we'd had the courage to join Alex in 4's.

Super hospitality by the Alpine Inn afterwards, green buns nothwithstanding. The Rainer was cold and refreshing and the team kept the bottomless water and lemonade flowing all afternoon.

See more - including my special facial hair preparation on Alex's own blog: http://dessat.blogspot.com/2008/08/crystal-mountain-hill-climb.html

2 comments:

EBrown said...

FU-MANCHU. Simply brilliant.

Those are some solid sub-30 times. Way to go!

Dessa said...

Good job Ryan and Nelson! Looks like I need to do much more training to beat you up the hill :-)))